Friday, February 20, 2009

A Sceptic Mind

Ok, there I was one night watching the tele about this show Better Home and Gardens, and towards the end of the show it was mentioning about "Moon Gardening'.

A quick search on google yield a few results, for example:
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s734935.htm

The concept was to use the gravitational force of the moon phase (somewhat similar to the high and low tide) to help your plant grow. On every new moon, start planting plants that grow up, and at the end of the phase, grow plants that grows downwards (carrots, potatoes, etc).

Having worked in IT industry with numbers and data, things that quantify rather than something with heads up in the cloud... I am a bit skeptical about the approach. As always my experience with planting had never been successful except for a few indoor plants (an Aloe Vera, a strange succulent spotted blade shaped leave plant, and a pair of 1 small and 1 large chinese money trees).

So I had some vegie seeds lying around from Bunnings, which I spent about $25 for them, and when I looked at the current phase of the moon, today is the waning crescent of the moon with 19% left. So that means the new moon phase might start soon in a few days, and probably is the best time to start testing the theory.

For easy checking what the current moon phase is, I used the moon phase calculator, which is also available as a web/iGoogle gadget here:
http://www.calculatorcat.com/moon_phases/moon_phases.phtml

So stay tuned and follow my experiment...


No comments:

Post a Comment